Thursday, June 23, 2011

Transportation Planning Class and NYC

These past several weeks I've been busy researching and writing two papers for my Transprotation Planning class that I am taking with Dr. Ralph Buehler. I will soon write a post that overlooks the impact of this research and how it will affect my thesis project.

Much of what I am learning are the non-architectrual aspects of transit systems. This area has a range of topics from budgets and financing to social perceptions of transit. Many of these topics seem too concrete and disheartening to wishful dreamers like many young architects (myself included), but they are necessary in order to have a working and viable system.

The first paper discusses the history of transit in the U.S. and looks at the modes of transit. It examines how cities affect transit and how transit affects cities. Cities play a major role in the evolution of transit, and conversely, transit plays a major role in the evolution of cities. This cause-effect cycle is what has shaped America’s urban transit landscape as well as our cities.

The second paper, which I am currently writing, examines the riders of transit. It focuses on riders' views and attitudes towards transit systems and how we can learn from other countries (Germany) to get more riders using our transit.


Additionally, I will be going to NYC this weekend! I plan on riding much public transportation there (NYC and metro area accounts for up to 1/3 of all transit in the U.S.!) as well as exploring the new Highline park. The park is a great example of re appropriating urban elements for new uses and reshaping the image of a city. I hope to apply the lessons of the Highline to Pittsbugh.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for an academic writing service in US, you can never go wrong with Evolution Writers , where essays are available in a wide range of subjects, and academic levels from high school to PhD level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article admin thanks for share your article keep share your knowledge i am waiting for your new post check mens puffer jacket tracksuit bottoms kindly review and reply me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your content and the lessons you share with your readers. Every time I read a post best forum I feel like I am able to take advantage of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Public Transport

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. Denver airport to boulder shuttle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best. Chicago charter bus transportation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet! Taxis chelmsford

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. Luxury Limousine Transportation Services Chicago

    ReplyDelete